COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado. (CCTV) – Attention, travelers! Airport trips through Colorado Springs are expected to be busy this summer.
11 News spoke to Colorado Springs Airport, which saw 169,173 passengers pass through the terminal in April, up 26.9% from April 2021.
“We did see a lot of people during spring break and that continued into April until Memorial Day. Our traffic is on par with what we saw in 2021, slightly higher. The traffic we saw in 21 was nearly double what we saw in 2019 at pre-pandemic levels,” said Dana Shield of COS Airport.
According to COS Airport, 14,000 travelers were at the airport during Memorial Day weekend, which usually kicks off the summer tourist season.
“We have enough capacity, so we have a lot of seats in the market, and we also expect those seats to be full, so we expect fuller aircraft,” Schild said.
It has been about six weeks since the mask requirement was largely lifted on planes and airports. COS Airport says that the cancellation of the mandate did not affect the number of flights.
Summer forecasts indicate a high volume of travel, which is why COS wants to remind travelers to arrive at least an hour and a half before their flight departs. Parking spaces can be full during peak times, so travelers should be aware of signs to help travelers find available parking options. Also, be aware of what you can and cannot take on the plane with you to speed up security checks.
“Airline summer schedules tend to change, so we are seeing some frequency increases. We’ve seen some changes to dates and such, so it’s always important to keep an eye on what’s available,” Schild said.
summer spotlight (non-stop routes) according to COS Airport:
- american airlines (Dallas/Fort Worth)
- 5 daily non-stop flights with a single connection service in the US and worldwide.
- Delta Airlines (Salt Lake City)
- 3 daily non-stop flights with easy access to the west coast
- Frontier Airlines (Las Vegas, Phoenix, Orlando)
- Round the clock service at low rates!
- southwestern airlines (Chicago (MDW), Dallas (DAL), Denver, Las Vegas, Phoenix)
- Direct to Denver (DEN) with convenient coast-to-coast connectivity.
- This summer (June-August), the number of places has increased by 17% compared to the summer of 2021.
- Addition of a third daily COS-Las Vegas (LAS) flight from June 5th.
- Addition of a second daily COS-Chicago (MDW) service effective July 5th.
- United Airlines (Denver, Houston (IAH), Los Angeles, Chicago (ORD))
- United serves 4 non-stop destinations with easy connections from coast to coast and around the world.
Copyright 2022 CCTV. All rights reserved.